A Sri Lankan citizen is required to obtain an National Identity Card to authenticate his/her identity as a citizen of Sri Lanka.
• Should be a citizen of Sri Lanka
• Should be attained 16 years of age
For the applicants who are applying for the first time the RPD 1 Applications must be duly completed & handed over together with following necessary documents.
Necessary documents to be submitted to obtain an ID for the first time:
• Applicants under 50 years of age it is compulsorily submitting either the Birth Certificate (BC) or the Probable Age Certificate issued by the Additional District Registrar.
• Those who were submitted the probable age certificate, the Department considers 1st of July of the respective year as the date of birth.
• Applicants over 50 years of age and does not possess the birth certificate or the probable age certificate, could submit two or more following alternative documents along with the results of search of registers and an Affidavit to confirm the age.
• School leaving certificate
• Certificate of Baptism
• Copies of Birth certificates of children of the applicant, (if the date of birth of the applicant indicated )
• Extract of the birth certificate of the applicant
• Citizenship certificate of Sri Lanka (if the date of birth indicated)
• Estate leaving certificate (if the date of birth indicated)
• Certified copies of relevant pages of the Passport
• Registration card issued by the Estate Superintendent
• Horoscope (if available)
• Applicants born in a foreign country should submit the citizenship certificates issued by the Department of Immigration & Emigration of Sri Lanka.
• Women applicants, who wish to include husband's family name in the ID card need to submit the original & a copy of the marriage certificate.
• Five colour photographs of the size of 1 ⅜" X ⅞"
• Applicants who wish to include other names in the Identity Card should submit documents to prove the other name was used by the person and submit an affidavit confirming both names are referred to the same person.
• Applicants, who wish to include their occupation/designation in the ID card, should submit a service certificate obtained during the last three months. Professionals also need to submit documentary evidence, in case if they wish to include their profession in the ID card. (I.e. Engineers, Doctors, Accountants, Lawyers should submit relevant Degree certificates). In case of the Businessmen, they need to submit a certified copy of the Business Registration certificate.
• Procedure to confirm the Priest status of applicants-
• Buddhist cleric should submit the "Certificate of Ordain" or "Upasampada Certificate" issued by the Department of Buddhist Affairs
• "Dasasil Matha" should submit the registration certificate issued by the Department of Buddhist Affairs
• Islamic priest should submit the certificate issued by the Department of Islamic Religious Affairs
• Hindu priest should submit the certificate issued by the Department of Hindu Religious Affairs
• Catholic priest should submit certificate issued by the head of relevant catholic religious chapters
Grama Niladhari of the applicant's residential area;
• For an applicant resides in an estate, superintendent of the Estate.
• When filling the applications please follow the guidelines in the application.
• For the Candidates obtaining a Identity Card for the first time
• Stamps to a value of Rs. 3/= for the applicants under 17 years of age.
• Stamps to a value of Rs. 15/= for the applicants over 17 years of age.
• For the renewal and Duplicate Copy
• Stamps to a value of Rs. 15/=.
Obtaining Duplicate Copy (for Lost Identity Cards)
• If an Identity Card is lost the owner of the ID should immediately report to the nearest Police Station and the application should be submitted with the certified copy of the relevant extract of the information book of the police station.
• Document to prove your Identity Card Number. (Photocopy of the Identity Card, Relevant pages of the Passport, Driving License, Passbook of the Bank Account, Pension Card)
• Applicants should produce the duly filled application stating the Applicant had an Identity Card and it has lost. (DS App2)
• If the Identity card was recovered after applying for the Duplicate.
• Inform the Police Station and the Commissioner General of Registration of Persons of the recovery.
• If duplicate of the card had been issued prior to the recovery surrender the original of that card to the Commissioner General for the Cancellation.
Renewing the Identity Card
• The National Identity Card the applicant already posses should be sent together with the duly filled RPD 8 Application Form.
• In case of the Identity card number is unreadable attach documents to prove our Identity Card Number. (Relevant pages of the Passport, Driving License, Passbook of the Bank Account, Pension Card)
• Please check your Identity cards as soon as you receive it.
• If any mistake is noticed your Identity cards send it immediately alone with a letter to the department.
• If more than 2 months taken to return Identity Card to the Department to rectify the error correction Application form(RPD 8) must be forwarded.