Performing the functions involved in the process of issuing National Identity Cards the sole document that establishes the identity of persons in order to assist in maintenance of law and order in the country to meet the challenges of the 21st century
To be the people friendly service provider that confirms the identity of citizens in a credible manner.
Registration of Sri Lankan citizens who have attained 16 years of age in an efficient and secure manner and issue of identity cards to them in terms of the Registration of Persons Act No:32 of 1968.
This Department, which has its main objective the registration of persons and issuance of identity cards to them in terms of Registration of Persons Act No:32 of 1968 amended by Acts No:28 of 1971, No:37 of 1971 and No:11 of 1981, while issuing the National Identity Card which is the main document that certifies the identity of persons is expected to create the necessary environment for governance of the country helping to maintain law and order in the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka facing the challenges of the 21st century and fulfilling that task through a proper management.
• Registration and issue of identity cards to persons who are legally resident in Sri Lanka and attained 16 years of age.
• Issue of corrected identity cards in place of ones that have already been issued by the Department when such corrections are required.
• Issue of duplicate identity cards to replace lost identity cards
• Confirmation of the genuineness of NIC at the request of various government departments.
• Taking necessary legal action regarding various malpractices that are being committed during issue of IDs.
• Issue of police clearance reports at the request of the police department.
• Creation of awareness among officers in public and private sectors regarding the NIC and the process of issuance of NIC.